Law Offices of James F. White, P.C.
Free Initial Consultation No Fee Unless Successful
Toll Free: 888-666-8089
Additional: 866-491-8585
Serving Clients Throughout Massachusetts and Rhode Island
View our practice areas

What benefits can I expect after a serious construction accident?

Imagine the scaffold you were working on collapsed and you got hurt in a construction accident. You might be down-and-out and unable to perform your job duties while recovering from your injuries. This means that your predicament is a lot more complicated than being hurt and needing to pay your doctors' bills because you won't be earning an income while you're healing.

In these situations, filing a workers' compensation claim can help a great deal. But what can you expect to receive in terms of benefits?

Massachusetts workers' compensation: The basics

Here's what you need to know about Massachusetts workers compensation laws:

  • You have to wait five days after your injury before you can file a claim for workers' compensation benefits.
  • Your benefits received can be retroactive after 21 days.
  • You should notify your employer as soon as you can following an injury; however, strict time limits on gaining approval for benefits may be as long as four years in some cases.
  • Workers' compensation covers more than just physical injuries in Massachusetts. You can seek compensation for certain mental injuries, too, if they came about as the result of an intentional infliction of stress by your employer.
  • If your treatment is not specifically paid for by the Massachusetts Workers' Compensation Trust fund, you can select your own doctor in your case.
  • Most employers in the state are required to have workers' compensation insurance, so if you got injured on the job, chances are you can get benefits to pay for your injuries.
  • If your injuries are so severe that you can't work, you can apply for wage replacement benefits. However, wage replacement benefits for a partial incapacity will be limited to 260 weeks. In some cases, these benefits can be doubled.
  • In some cases, applicants can receive long-term wage replacement benefits.

Injured at work? Get the benefits you deserve

You can usually receive wage replacement benefits and benefits to pay for your medical care after a work-related injury, but you may have to speak up and assert your rights in court. If you're having trouble getting the benefits you deserve, certain legal options and strategies could help you depending on your circumstances.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email us for a response

Contact Our Firm to Schedule a Free Initial Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Office Locations

Law Offices of James F. White, P.C.
5 East Street
Franklin, MA 02038-2110

Toll Free: 888-666-8089
Phone: 508-570-2032
Fax: 508-541-2479
Franklin Law Office

Law Offices of James F. White, P.C.
100 Concord Street, Suite 3
Framingham, MA 01702

Toll Free: 888-666-8089
Phone: 508-570-2032
Fax: 508-541-2479
Framingham Law Office

Law Offices of James F. White, P.C.
530 Boston Post Rd E
Marlborough, MA 01752

Toll Free: 888-666-8089
Phone: 508-570-2032
Fax: 508-541-2479
Map & Directions